The 0, 1, 2, 3 Alcohol Consumption Plan

As we learned in my Alcohol and Weight Training post earlier this month, there's no getting around the fact that alcohol and bodybuilding do not mix. It retards muscle growth, dehydrates your muscle cells, blocks the absorption of many important nutrients, and actually lowers testosterone.

I'm realist, however, and know that not many guys -- if any -- are going to stop drinking alcohol for the sake of muscle development. Subsequently, quite a few of you have written me in response to my post and asked for a responsible plan for consuming alcohol.

Here's what I suggest: 0, 1, 2, 3.

The 0, 1, 2, 3 Alcohol Consumption Plan, as I call it, is an easy way to remember how to drink responsibly.

Here's how it works:

0 - You can always choose to not drink at all. Be the DD and your buddies will owe you one. Be the mysteriously sexy guy at the bar sipping ice water, maintaining your composure with the ladies while your buddies play drunken grab@$$ in the corner. We're not teenagers any more, gents. There's nothing wrong with enjoying the evening with a clear mind.

1 - Drink no more than one alcoholic beverage per hour. This allows your liver to more efficiently process the alcohol.

2 - Drink no more than two nights a week.

3 - Drink no more than three alcoholic beverages in a given evening.

Prime example? Last night I went out to dinner at STK in West Hollywood with my corporate cohorts. Upon arrival, I partook in a bottle of Stella Artois with my office workout partner, and with my fillet I enjoyed a half glass of Franciscan Cabernet Sauvignon. Two drinks in four hours.

A few of my associates were surprised to see the 'health guru' drinking alcohol -- considering my self-imposed health standards. But I see nothing wrong with a drink here and there. Like most things related to health (as you have seen from my theory of competing theories), I find the truth is somewhere in the middle. Excessive drinking is dumb, but one would also be remiss to believe that having a drink now and again can't be beneficial.

If you think the 0, 1, 2, 3 plan this is too strict, consider that most credible research I've seen shows us that the benefits of alcohol end after one drink.

If you're looking to get smashed, I can't help you. Be on your way.

But if you're looking to partake in a responsible social drinking regimen (so as to not hinder your exercise regimen), I highly recommend the 0, 1, 2, 3 plan.

Try it out for a few weekends. Let me know what you think.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment